Saturday, November 6, 2010

For Colored Girls Movie Review


I went to see For Colored Girls last night and all I can say is wow wow wow! It was amazing! I have read all the negative reviews this film has been getting so I really didn't have high hopes. I was also somewhat worried about there being too many big stars in one film, but here it actually worked.

Because I was unfortunately on CP time, I missed the first 10 minutes of the movie. However the acting is some of the best I have seen on film in a long time. The scene where Anika Noni Rose is in the hospital describing her rape to Hill Harper is powerful. And Loretta Devine's monologue towards the end was so real and relatable. It was just simply amazing.

I have read the book so I do know that some of the dialogue was taken directly from its pages. There were a few scenes where this just really did not work but it did not take away from my experience. I think even if you haven't read the book, it will be easy to tell what parts I am talking about. The only reason I am hesitant to say that Tyler Perry should not have used them at all is because a few of them really worked in the film.

All of the actresses did an amazing job and demonstrated the high level of talent they each possess. This is the best I have ever seen Thandie Newton and her performance was my absolute favorite (well it's more of a tie between her and Loretta Devine). Whoopi Goldberg, Phylicia Rashad, and Loretta Devine are already legends even though they have never received the recognition they deserve. If none of these women receive any recognition for these award worthy performances it will be highway robbery! And yes, that includes Ms. Jackson!

Ignore all of the negative reviews and go see this film! It is a definite must see for everyone, not just us colored girls.

1 comment:

  1. This movie, most def hd me near tears. It showed me that we are enabling our men, and we need to stop. We need to not be scared to move on.
    I am following your blog, follow mine.

    Thanks
    Pink Goddess
    http://www.thepinkgoddessfiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete